Monday, January 16, 2012

Choice Read Post #3

The Five People You Meet in Heaven book cover
This past week I have just completed The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.  Over the summer for one of my two summer reading books I read Tuesdays With Morrie, also by Albom.  I really liked the first one because it really made me think about a lot of life situations.  That is what prompted me to read The Five People You Meet in Heaven.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is about a man named Eddie who works as a maintenance man at Ruby Pier (an amusement park).  Eddie, in his eighties at the time, has worked there his entire life, as did his father.  One day, something goes wrong with a ride and Eddie is called to try and save this little girl who is stuck on the ride.  Sadly, Eddie dies trying to save the girl, but this is when the story begins.  

Eddie played by Jon Voight
When Eddie arrives in heaven, he meets five people who were all important people in his life.  On some occasions he knew the people, but other times he didn't know the people.  The first person that Eddie met was a man named Joseph (also referred to as the "blue man").  When Eddie was a young boy, he ran into the street. Joseph was driving his car, and swerved to avoid hitting Eddie.  However, he crashed, had a heart attack, and died.  The second person Eddie met was his captain in World War II.  His captain's motto was "nobody gets left behind."  One day, his captain saved Eddie's life by shooting him in the leg so Eddie would not enter a burning building.  The third person Eddie meets was a woman named Ruby, who the park is named after.  He husband Emile built the park, but injured himself.  He was sent to the hospital where Ruby met Eddie's father who was also suffering in the hospital.  Ruby tells Eddie about his father's last days, and Eddie learns the importance of forgiveness.  The fourth person Eddie meets is his wife, Marguerite.  She tells Eddie how much she enjoyed her life with him, but explains to him what happened on his 39th birthday.  Eddie was at the race track betting on horses and winning a lot of money.  He calls her and she says to stop because they planned on adopting a baby.  She then gets mad at herself for yelling at him so she drives to the race track.  However, on the way there, she gets in a car accident landing her in the hospital, ever changing their marriage.  The final person Eddie meets is a little girl.  Originally, I thought it was going to be the girl who Eddie couldn't save from the ride.  Instead it was the girl, named Tala, Eddie was going to save when he was entering the burning building.  However, she died before he could save her because Eddie's captain shot him in the leg.  She tells him that his life was worth living because he kept so many people safe at Ruby Pier.  Eddie then drifts off to heaven where he re-unites with Marguerite by the ferris wheel at Ruby Pier.  In the end, Eddie learns about love, forgiveness, sacrifice, and most importantly, everybody is connected in some way.

Ruby Pier Entrance

Mitch Albom
I really enjoyed this novel.  At times it made me stop and think about my life.  I thought about the people have impacted my life and people who's lives I've impacted.  I also thought about who I might meet even though I'm only 16 years old.  Hopefully I will live for several more years, but this book makes you appreciate life and not to take anything for granted.  Overall, I believe that everyone should read The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays With Morrie, both by Mitch Albom.  One interesting side note that I didn't realize until the end of The Five People You Meet in Heaven was that in Tuesdays with Morrie Mitch explains that he is a sports reporter in Chicago.  After finishing the second novel, I saw a picture of Mitch, and I realized that I have been watching him on television on ESPN as a sports analyst. 


Rating (out of 10): 9

No comments:

Post a Comment