Monday, March 5, 2012

Choice Read Post #4

I have just begun a new novel for choice reading.  I am now currently reading Manhunt the 12-day chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson.  I have always been interested in history and in particular Abraham Lincoln.  Lincoln has always been my favorite president ever since I was young.  He was my favorite president because of his honesty, integrity, and leadership. Those are qualities that I want people to describe me as.

The novel begins with Abraham Lincoln and his wife Mary deciding wether or not to even go to the theater to see the play.  They were unable to find anyone who was interested to go with them.  In the end, they ended up taking Major Rathbone and his wife with them.  The Lincoln's and the Rathbone's arrive late to the theater, and the play has already begun.  

Abraham Lincoln
Then the novel flashes back and explains John Wilkes Booth's plan and how he has spent his day.  His friends are also in on it with Booth.  His friends are going to assassinate the secretary of state and the vice president.  His one friend backed out and didn't kill the vice president, and the other executed, but somehow the secretary of state survived, though badly wounded.  It was very interesting to hear the story behind what his friend did to the secretary of state.  I knew that Booth had acquaintances to assist him, but it was fascinating to hear exactly what each of them did/didn't do.   

The book then switches back to Booth and his quest to assassinate Lincoln.  The novel goes into great detail of Booth killing Lincoln and the chaos that broke out in the theater after.  It goes on to discuss what doctors tried to do to save Lincoln's life in the theater.  The last part that I read was when the doctors moved Lincoln to the Peterson House. There, the doctors are still attempting to save his life.  

John Wilkes Booth
I have really enjoyed this book so far.  The detail and the first hand accounts/sources that are included make it a fascinating read.  I am really hooked and drawn into the story. It is also great because, even though you know the story of Lincoln's death, this novel discusses what happens after that.  I haven't gotten there yet, but it will discuss how people were able to track down Booth.  I am looking forward to continuing to read the remainder of this novel.  As a person who enjoys history and an Abraham Lincoln fan, this is a great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment